The easiest but most expensive way to buy textbooks is to take your list of required reading to your school bookstore and get everything there. It's not that they're trying to rip you off, though it may feel that way. University bookstores actually have very little control over prices, with both the university/college and the bookstore that runs it (probably Barnes and Noble) requiring various things they pretty much have to charge what they have to charge. But that doesn't mean you have to pay those prices. I saved about a thousand dollars not buying all my books at the bookstore in college.
First, look through your list and decide what you actually need. If you're only going to read one chapter, you can probably get it at the library for a week. If your roomie is taking the same class you can share a book. Be honest with yourself about whether or not you're going to do the recommended readings. If a friend already took the class, they may sell their books straight to you. I am not too proud to admit I've bought a book, read the required chapter or two, and returned it. Desperate times, folks.
Now, you need to figure out what is going on with new editions. Some textbooks will be republished every few years. These new editions are revised, often with new chapters. For math and science books with practice problems, the problems and associated numbers change. If there are assignments out of the textbook you'll probably need the edition listed. However, some professors are aware that books are a huge expense for students and sometimes don't mind if you buy the old edition. Some prefer it, I had one tell the class "Please don't give CQ Press any extra money." Usually these are less than five years old and usually only cost a few dollars. I bought the 6th edition for thirty cents once instead of the 7th for $150, and it had everything I needed. Wait till the first day of class to ask, or email your professor. Try this:
"Professor [Name],
My name is [Name] and I'm enrolled in [class] next semester. I'm writing to ask if we'll be needing the most recent edition of [book], or if the prior edition would be acceptable.
Thanks,
[Name]"
While you're chit chatting with your professors, you'll also want to ask if the supplementary online materials are required. Sometimes they are used extensively, sometimes not at all, and in many cases they will be listed on the list the bookstore even if the professor hasn't specified that they want students to buy them.
Julianna, that sounds like homework! Yeah, I know, it kind of is. But if you only follow part of my advice, make it this:
Open four tabs, one for Amazon, one for Half.com, one with your college bookstore's website, and one for Chegg.com, a rental service. Don't search by title, instead type in the 10 digit ISBN. Ebooks and rentals can save you money, but cannot be sold at the end of the semester. Add in the cost of shipping when comparing prices. Don't be afraid of the Amazon Marketplace, many of these sellers are used bookstores or even other students and if there is a problem (I've never had one) Amazon guarantees your satisfaction. Often, you can get some money back at the end of the semester by selling your own used books. We can talk about this later.
It's a pain in the booty, but it's the easiest money you'll ever save. You can save a whole semesters worth of snack money! More importantly, you can do it online while you catch up on your shows.
No comments:
Post a Comment