Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Help I'm moving!

So you're moving into you second (or third, or fourth, or ninemillionth) apartment, and hopefully it's an upgrade!  I just moved out of my Very First Apartment after 4 years there, and have all sorts of luxuries like a dish washer, laundry in the building, the elusive spare bedroom, and my cute boyfriend.  I also have a roommate who shares my pintrest enthusiasm and owns a fluffy cat.

I'm going to skip right over the part where we actually found the place, because it was horrible.  I've heard stories of New Yorkers doing crazy things to snag the perfect place, and I completely understand.  I gave a full months rent to the most unprofessional professional I have ever met to show us almost all of the apartment, and give us a lease that was almost correct (don't worry, we got a new one.) Maybe you had a nice realtor or, in some kind of rainbow unicorn situation, worked directly with the owner.  Maybe you are smarter than me so you don't live in Boston.  

But whatever.  We signed the lease, toasted with the finest ($10est) prosecco and started plotting. With a severely diminished savings account, an apartment full of every item I've procured in my adult life, and a vague fear of getting oil heat I was ready to roll.  Here's what I did, and what I'll do differently next time.

First thing: Sort out logistics, and book the truck

I didn't want to move on 9/1, and fortunately the girl who took over my room was flexible.  If you live in Boston, do this if at all possible. It may be worth offering some money about it, because when I looked at quotes for trucks, renting 9/3-9/4 was about $200 less than renting 8/31-9/1.

Book the truck as soon as you have a final date. I had some furniture that needed to go pack to my parent's house, so I found a truck that we could pick up in Boston and return in Albany.  

This was also the point where I called my dad aka brought in a consultant.  Two of his many skills include knowing how to pack a truck, and being able to drive a truck. He already owns moving blankets and tie downs and bungee cords, so I didn't have to rent or buy them.  He also brought a bonus, car insurance that covers rented trucks.  Also he helped pay for things like that dang truck, and food for the "crew," because I am a princess who has the world's nicest parents.  

Second thing: What to pack IN

I didn't buy any boxes, but for some people, having a nice stack of correctly sized, undamaged cardboard boxes is a real sanity saver, and they aren't that expensive. I foraged mine from work  and local liquor stores.  This was a great system for me, because I would just fill the boxes as I got them, which made spreading out the packing easy.  

Don't forget to put heavy stuff in small boxes, and make use of the suitcases and storage stuff you already have.  I own two of those plastic drawer things, so I just filled those right up and wrapped the drawers with tape.  

I also bought two big Rubbermaid containers.  These are great to pack in, but I wouldn't buy more than you'll actually use post move, because they take up a good amount of space.  

Third thing: Get a head start

When I first started packing, I had a system.  I would tackle a little area and go though everything deciding what was worth moving, and giving a lot of stuff away.  I started with things I wouldn't need before moving, seasonal stuff mostly.  I moved on to my bookshelves, and my craft items etc etc.  These boxes have been easy to unpack, as they were lovingly packed and organized by Past Julianna, who is very considerate.  As moving day got closer, the system gradually broke down, but I ended up only having a few boxes full of random stuff.

Fourth thing: Pretend you're camping

The best moving tip I got was that for the two weeks before you move, think of yourself not as living in your home, so much as camping in it.  Pack up anything you don't absolutely need.  I cooked a good amount of food so I could pack up my kitchen sooner, next time I'll do more of that.  

Fifth thing: Get help

I recruited some strong friends who helped make up for my noodle arms and, as I mentioned, my dad cause he's a pro.  Maybe you're fancy, and want to hire movers.  Please don't hurt yourself.

Last thing: You can do it

Take breaks, remember to eat, just keep putting stuff where it goes and you'll eventually be done!

Don't forget the Paperwork Party!

Set up mail forwarding with USPS. You can choose a future date to start forwarding, so your mail will get sent to your new place starting when you first move. The website charges $1 to verify your identity and gives you a bunch of coupons for Bed Bath and Beyond, rental trucks, and more! Use this link, there are a surprising number of change of address scams out there.

If you don't know the people moving in, leave them a forwarding address, or better yet, stickers!  You can make mailing labels that say "Please forward to [you new address]" and if they stick that on and throw it in the mailbox (no postage needed) you won't miss anything.

Change the address on your license.  In Massachusetts the law requires that you change the address on file with the RMV (free) to your current address, but you don't need to get a new license ($110.)  You can change your address online and just write your new address on the back of your license and wait until renewal time to get a new one.

Register to vote or change your voter registration.  They make this super easy when you change your license or set up mail forwarding. Google also gives easy instructions.  Even if you're in the same state (or city) you need to move your registration  so you're voting in the correct district. This will also allow you to vote at a polling place closer to your home. Students can register either at their school address or their permanent address.  Non students who still vote absentee from their parents address because they live in Ohio and want their vote to "count more" are "committing fraud" and should move their registration. I recommend "becoming invested in the community where you actually live"  as a satisfying alternative to telling people once every four years that you get to vote in a swing state.

Other people who need your new address:
Your bank
All credit card companies you work with
Your employer, start with the Payroll or Benefits office  (you'll be do a lot of running around come tax season if your W-4 goes to the wrong place)
Your car insurance company
Healthcare providers
Anytime you receive a forwarded piece of mail that's actually important, contact the sender to give them your new address.


For advice on furnishing your new place on the cheap, check out these past posts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment